- what is the story like?
- what kind of a video is it (stop-motion, acting to music, etc.)?
- what is used in the video?
- what about it makes it so impressive?
- what is the music like?
- are there any messages throughout the video, or is it all communicated through the story and music?
- what, if any, verses are there in the video?
- what other things make it cool/awesome that i didn't ask as specific questions?
btw, i was inspired by David Crowder Band.
i welcome all input and ideas!!! (even though this is still mostly hypothetical) =)
~ ~ ~
edit [7/30/13]: "I want to participate, but what do you mean "imagine"? Are we sharing a
YouTube video that has impacted us already in reality, or are we making
up what we would expect a life changing video to look and sound like?"
imagine---you're making it up. but you are allowed to use ideas from other things you've seen, as long as they're relatively creative and original. hmmm... let's see if these questions can confuse you some more. >:)
- what aspects of a short video would be most likely to either impact you or impress you, or both (but in that order of importance)?
- if you were trying to tell a good friend what to add to a video that he was designing to specifically affect your heart and mind, what would you tell him?
- what aspects of a short video would be most likely to either impact you or impress you, or both (but in that order of importance)?
- if you were trying to tell a good friend what to add to a video that he was designing to specifically affect your heart and mind, what would you tell him?
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete"what is the story like?"
ReplyDelete-Redemption. There needs to be a tasteful dose of darkness and grittiness marring a character's life, followed by a change in heart... preferably set in motion by another character and a great sacrifice... that transforms the first character into someone honorable. I think dualism (the idea dark and light are equals) is dumb, and shows up in fiction too much... but it's true in story that former makes the latter a lot more meaningful.
"what kind of video is it?"
-Animation. Note, this isn't the area I'd be most picky on... and I didn't define what medium is used to animate it (stop-motion, flash, captured video game footage for storytelling, etc.). I just personally am interested in animation, so a video with it in some way would hit me with its message a little harder, I expect. I can't say if I have a reason for this deeper than "it's cool how in animation, every detail added in is intentional in some way"... whereas in live action, there's a lot of spontaneous 'noise' from however the actor decides to express their part, what setting the team had to film at, and other factors.
"what is used in the video?"
-If the video went with animation, then do stop-motion of Legos, to get double points inciting nostalgia in Taylor Lewis. Also as another good thing, and something that isn't specific to animation, symbolism of commonplace things for a more abstract concept can be really powerful.
"what about it makes it so impressive?"
-Immersion. I notice this the most in fantasy, where I want the world to be fleshed out in a way where I get lost in it, forgetting I'm simply reading another guy's made up land. I think it would apply to other storytelling too, though, where the plight of the character captures my attention and my own experiences to relate resurface in my mind... causing me to "exist within the story" to put it in a super artsy way.
"what is the music like?"
-Something that isn't too distracting, but fills the silence and establishes the mood would work-- a subtle instrumental track, basically. What would really go beyond that, though, would be a song I happen to know that wasn't recorded with the intent to be used in a video's soundtrack, but still fit into the main theme very well.
"are there any messages throughout the video, or is it all communicated through the story and music?"
-If it's a story-heavy video, I think messages of text should play a very minor role... otherwise that's a lot of different stimulation that might be stepping over each aspect's toes in communicating to me. Text at the beginning or end might be tasteful. If the purpose is to establish something about the story, revealing that in narration or dialogue -might- be more appropriate.
((You made me write over the posting limit for comments... ahhh! :O))
Delete"what, if any, verses are there in the video?"
-Ooo, well here is what said text messages in the video should be. I suppose it depends on the content, but assuming this is a redemption story: "but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8, ESV).
"what aspects of a short video would be most likely to either impact you or impress you, or both (but in that order of importance)?"
-I'll name two (one for each effect).
For impacting me, I want to see that the creator of this video poured their heart into a part of it. That's not just a figure of speech for "they worked really hard", but what I mean is that they really personally invested a part of themselves into the video's meaning. I think this quality is tightly interwoven with the other important quality I mentioned in an earlier answer for what (oddly enough, since I'm talking about impacting) impresses me (immersion!).
As for impressing me, other than immersion (which I now think was more connected to what impacts me), proper use of videography's technical side would be something I'd appreciate since I did some study on that in high school. I wouldn't be picky on minor things, but certain details have a lot of overlap with the creative side, like the camera angles used (cinematography). There are emotions associated with how close and from what vantage point you see a character along with other elements of the scene... so it would impress me in a way to see that the creator of this video did their homework on the basics of the medium they chose to use.
"if you were trying to tell a good friend what to add to a video that he was designing to specifically affect your heart and mind, what would you tell him?"
-Umm... I could just refer him or her to this blog post and my comment, right? :)
But then that would be kind of a long read, so in seriousness, I'd just tell them the main things (put a part of yourself into it, try to suck me into the story, and do your homework on the essentials of videography... or just ask me). From there, I'd suggest that they include certain things that they, most likely, already know I'm passionate about. Those things could be the major themes (redemption, agape love in friendship and romance, sacrifice)... or they could just be small details I will connect to and notice despite their subtle role (birds, video games, writing and storytelling, fantasy).