so many people will do anything and everything to avoid an awkward situation. especially introverts i think, since those seem to come more easily to us.
at this point i am reaffirming that my primary goal in life is not to avoid awkward moments or discomfort. and that it's even ok to acknowledge them. let it be so.
(actually, not just a reaffirmation, but a reminder--no--command for myself.)
For the past four months, I've stayed in my 6x6 room armed with caffeinated beverages, snacks, books, studying materials, and pre-loaded Castle episodes and my roommates and I have played this cute little avoidance game where we all stay in our individual bedrooms and never cook, pee, shower, or leave to go anywhere unless we know by hearing that the others are either gone or still in their bedrooms...
ReplyDeleteI broke that on Christmas. I knocked on the door of my roommate who was home, told her in Japanese that I was sorry that I had always been quiet, and that it was mostly because my Japanese sucked and I was shy to begin with. She replied that it was okay, since she couldn't speak a word of English either, and thanked me for the gift full of goodies I presented her.
best sixty seconds ever.
I did it because I too was sick of playing the avoiding game with everyone when I knew what exactly what the stakes were and what I had actually been called to do.
Also, hi. :)